An error occurred while saving the commentJustin Winokur commented
This was originally a reddit post until I read the sidebar....
First of all, I love SimpleRockets. It has been my go to "game" for some time. I go through periods of obsession to not playing and back.
I am especially enjoying some of the new iOS features like the ion engines,etc.
One thing I like to do is experiment with the physics and the engineering. For example, some of the questions I have tried to answer for myself are:
* Does a Blasto 425 with 3750L of fuel burn out at the same time as a Blast 170 with 1500L
* Yes. They burn fuel linearly though I do not know about the impulse
* How many solar panels does it take to keep an ion engine at 100% from reducing battery?
* About 2. May not be exact but seems to be pretty close
* How much of a difference do nose-cones make
* Needed to use Maximum Thrust and compare
* Efficiency of engines at different powers
* SRB impulse, etc
Some of these I can do by playing and some I can try to set up experiments to compare (for example, apogee height) but a lot of them need measurements like fuel usage or speed at a certain height (a la Maximum Thrust)
it would be really cool to introduce some optional diagnostics into the sandbox. Let me see how much fuel I am using since launch or let me set heights where speed is measured (Maximum Thrust can't have ion engines or SRBs).
I think it would be fun and educational. In many ways, users can "do science" by setting up experiments and measuring differences. Even pedagogy aside, it would just be fun!
Thanks /u/andrewgarrison for the great game and even considering it!